Why Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction surgery has the highest patient satisfaction rate in all cosmetic surgery. Removing the weight from your chest can alleviate a whole myriad of symptoms such as back and neck pain, skin irritation, skeletal deformities, and breathing problems. Your bra straps could be leaving indentations in your shoulders and your breasts may be restricting physical activities. And unusually large breasts can make some women or teenage girls feel extremely self-conscious.
Breast reduction surgery can be thought of along the same spectrum as breast lift surgery. After surgery, your breasts will be not only smaller, but higher and perkier, giving you a more streamlined silhouette. Breast reduction surgery by Dr. Steely potentially can change your lifestyle and clothing choices.
Your Breast Reduction Consultation
Dr. Steely will describe the breast reduction procedure in detail, explaining the risks and limitations. He will make an examination of your breasts, measuring and photographing them for reference during surgery, and afterward for comparison purposes. Dr. Steely will discuss the factors that may impact the procedure – such as your age, your breast size and shape, and condition and elasticity of your skin. He will discuss where the nipple and areola will be positioned as they will be positioned higher during the procedure. Expect to learn about the anesthesia he will use, the surgery facility, and the costs.
Preparing For Your Breast Reduction Surgery
Dr. Steely may require that you have a mammogram (breast x-ray) before surgery. You’ll also get specific instructions on how to prepare for surgery, including guidelines on eating and drinking, smoking, and taking or avoiding certain vitamins and medications.
The Breast Reduction Surgery
For your breast reduction surgery, Dr. Steely will use an incision based on the amount of tissue that needs to be removed and lifted. Whenever possible, he uses the shortest incision needed to give you the look you desire.
One technique involves an anchor-shaped incision circling the areola, extending downward, and following the natural curve of the crease beneath the breast. He removes excess glandular tissue, fat, and skin, and moves the nipple and areola into their new position. He then brings the skin from both sides of the breast down and around the areola, shaping the new contour of the breast.
Another type of incision he may use involves a lateral oblique incision that results in a shortened and less obtrusive scar. Also, to achieve the breast mound shape, breast tissue is held in place by passing a pedicle of breast tissue under a loop of the pectoral muscle, thereby establishing longer-lasting upper-pole fullness.
Incisions are usually located around the areola, in a vertical line extending downward, and along the lower crease of the breast. In some cases, techniques can be used that eliminate the vertical part of the scar. And occasionally, when only fat needs to be removed, liposuction alone can be used to reduce breast size, leaving minimal scars.
Candidates for Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction is a suitable procedure for those who have large breasts that appear asymmetrical with the rest of the body or those who experience pain in the neck, back, and shoulders when performing normal activities. Patients undergoing the surgery should be in good physical health and have realistic expectations about the possibilities provided by the surgery. An initial examination will be performed to help determine if breast reduction is a good fit for you.
After the Breast Reduction Procedure
- EYou will need to wear an elastic bandage or a surgical bra over gauze dressings for a few days until replaced by a soft support bra to be worn for three to four weeks
- EThere will be some discomfort for the first couple of days, for which Dr. Steely will prescribe some medication.
- EDr. Steely uses absorbable sutures for your comfort.
- EAt your first menstruation following surgery, your breasts may swell and hurt.
- EExpect some loss of feeling in your nipples and breast skin which usually fades after a couple of months
- EAvoid lifting or pushing heavy objects for three or four weeks.
- EYou can most likely return to work (non-strenuous) and social activities in just a few days
- EFor support, you will need a good athletic bra.
- EWithin six months to a year, your breasts will settle into their new shape.
- EAlthough Dr. Steely will make every effort to make your scars as inconspicuous as possible, it is important to know that breast reduction scars are permanent. Also, he will make sure that the scars are placed so that you can wear low-cut tops.
- EOf all plastic surgery procedures, breast reduction results in the quickest body-image changes and the highest patient satisfaction rate. You’ll be rid of the physical discomfort of large breasts, your body will look better proportioned, and clothes will fit you better.
Dr. Robert Steely specializes in plastic surgery and strives to deliver world-class breast reduction surgery in Houston, TX. Dr. Robert Steely can provide you with a beautiful and natural-looking appearance.
* It is important to note that Dr. Steely does NOT take insurance for any type of surgery, including breast reduction surgery.*
Breast Reduction Cost
The cost of a breast reduction varies, because it is a highly individualized surgery tailored for each patient. The overall price may include anesthesia, operating room facilities, and other related expenses. Additional tests and imaging may also add to your total. Contact us for additional information.
Contact Our Office
If you’re interested in learning more about breast reduction with a highly-skilled, double-board-certified plastic surgeon in Houston, TX, call 713-622-6500 or email Dr. Steely for a complimentary initial appointment. Dr. Steely will help address your concerns by developing a customized treatment plan that fits your unique aesthetic goals.
Related Blog Posts
Breast Reduction Houston
Breast Reduction, also known as reduction mammoplasty, is performed to reduce…
Mammoplasty Houston Anesthesia
Like most plastic surgery procedures, breast reduction surgery requires a…