Botox® Cosmetic is a very popular in-office procedure to smooth out facial wrinkles, forehead creases, frown lines between the eyes, and crow’s feet.
Botox® Cosmetic works by inactivating hyperactive facial muscles around the eyes and lower forehead that may give a person an angry, tired, or displeased appearance – even when they are not experiencing that emotion. As the muscles are made inactive, longstanding skin creases will soften and may eventually disappear. The result is a softer, more relaxed, and pleasant appearance.
Dr. Robert Steely specializes in cosmetic treatments and therapies and strives to deliver world-class Botox injection treatments in Houston, TX. Dr. Robert Steely can provide you with a beautiful and natural-looking appearance.
After Your Botox® COSMETIC Injections
- EYou may return to work immediately
- EYou should avoid exercise or massaging the area for 24 hours to limit any possible spreading of the medicine
- EWe also ask that you try to minimize any facial expressions for the first 24 hours to keep the medication localized in the muscle
- EThe effects may take several days to develop
- EOnce the muscle function is impaired, the results will last 3 to 5 months
- EIn rare cases the initial therapy will not be totally effective and the treatment may need to be performed again
- EYou require less frequent injections over time as the muscles “retrain” or weaken from disuse
Possible Temporary Botox® Cosmetic Side Effects
The risk of side effects associated with Botox® Cosmetic injections is low, and those that do occur are minor and temporary. As with any medical procedure, it is important to be aware of the possibilities.
- EMild swelling at the injection site
- ELocalized numbness
- ETemporary loss of function of a nearby muscle (e.g. drooping lid)
Botox® Cosmetic FAQ
Who will Perform my Botox® Cosmetic Injections Procedure?
Am I a Good Botox Candidate?
Botox is recommended for patients with fine lines such as crow’s feet. It is ideal for those who have facial lines due to repetitive muscle contractions or expressions. Good candidates are just starting to show signs of skin aging.
Patients who have realistic expectations and are willing to follow skincare recommendations, including maintenance sessions, are the best candidates for Botox injections. Patients with moderate and harsh lines can consider filler treatments for ideal results.
Do I Need a Consultation Before Botox Injections?
When you come to Steely Plastic Surgery, a consultation with Dr. Steely is necessary so he can determine if Botox injections are the most appropriate treatment for your concerns.
He will perform a skin evaluation and create a treatment plan to achieve your skin goals. Each detail of the plan will be discussed with you, and Dr. Steely will answer any questions you may have.
What Should I Expect During My Botox Session?
Your Botox session with Dr. Steely will usually last around 20 minutes. Your treatment areas will be cleansed, and the injection sites will be marked as preparation for the Botox injections. A local anesthetic or a numbing cream will be applied to make the treatment comfortable.
The Botox will be injected in the underlying muscles beneath the marked sites in precise amounts. Once all the marked sites are injected with Botox, the treatment areas will be cleansed to complete the session. Dr. Steely will give you aftercare instructions to help get optimal results.
How Much Does Botox® Cosmetic Cost?
Dr. Steely charges for Botox by the unit injected. A unit is a measurement like an inch or a teaspoon:
- The current charge is $15 dollars per unit injected, with a twenty-unit minimum; the number of units needed depends upon the site being treated.
- The deep lines between the eyes that cause a tired, angry look take about 20 – 25 units.
- The treatment of the fine lines around the eyes takes about 25 units for both eyes.
- The treatment of lines in your forehead or brow takes about 25 units as well.
Remember that these numbers are estimates based on Dr. Steely‘s experience with other patients, and your needs may vary; these numbers should be considered the minimum needed.
Why is Botox® Cosmetic Less Expensive at Other Places?
Botox® Cosmetic comes from the manufacturer in a powdered form. It is subsequently diluted by the provider with saline to allow for injection. In an effort to save money, many providers dilute the medication far beyond the recommended dilution; this means that you receive much less of the drug, causing a decrease in both the intensity of the effect as well as the length of time it remains effective.
I Have Had Botox® Cosmetic at Another Facility and It Did Not Work- I Do Not Think Botox® Works On Me.
Botox® Cosmetic has been extremely effective on almost all patients. If you did not get any results from your injections, the provider was most likely using Botox® that was old or too diluted. Dr. Steely prides himself on using only freshly reconstituted Botox® at a dilution that is the most effective.
Where Can I Learn More about Botox Cosmetic?
The Botox website by Allergan has a wealth of additional information.
Schedule Your Consultation
Dr. Steely is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has helped many patients look and feel their very best. If you’re interested in learning more information relating to the Botox® Cosmetic procedure call 713-622-6500 or email Dr. Steely for a complimentary initial appointment.
Botox is a registered trademark of Allergan, Inc.